Sunday 4 December 2016

Returning

"How do I know who will be here in Australia when we return. I keep remembering people I should have rung. And how will I be different when I return? Will everyone be safe?"
In Barcelona

These thoughts filled my mind that day in 2012 when I was traveling to Turkey to begin my adventure on Pavlov. I say "my adventure"  here because I was the unsure and fearful party in all of this, and continued to be over the 4-5 years that we have sailed the Med in our wonderful boat.

I was unsure in so many ways. Could I stand being away so far from the kids? Could I cope being on the boat and leaning? Feeling the fear that still grips me at times.  Could Steve and I cope with each other? Could I overcome my fears and find the strength that would be needed?

Well the answer was of course yes. I did find the strength of will and dare I say character, though I still refuse to believe I needed any more. There were times that I questioned our decision. But there were were many more times that we each marveled at our work, and at the things we saw and came to experience.

How did I change?

I believe that the strength and adventurous side I exhibited as a child came to the fore on Pavlov. It was forced to do so. And I was proud of myself. I was great crew and I did what was needed for us both. I became....fearless.....at times anyway.

Steve has always exhibited the skills of a skipper. At his 60th birthday party in Ballina I extolled his virtues. He kept us safe and I trusted hime to look after me while I was hanging onto the boom in 50knots ...... It was my ability that I questioned, never his. Though he probably will tell a different story: I question everything , even when told to accept. His skills I never doubted. He made these last 5 years possible. We wouldn't have done this without his determination and capacity to learn new things.

How have things changed while we have been away?

We have got older. Naturally. Sophie is married and has experienced what no mother ever wants to- the death of a child, Harrison. But she has also experienced the joy of a child, Isobel. I return as a grandmother.

Michael will have nearly finished law and will be embarking on the next phase of his life- with dog and motor cycle. Ahhhhh!

They are my joys as always and I am happy to be back closer to them to experience life first hand, not over a screen on Skype.

I will return to my family:brothers, sisters-in-law, nieces, cousins, mother-in-law. They have had their health issues but are well now. I will return to my friends. And leave behind new friends which is sad.

How have I changed?

As a natural pessimist (maybe linked to potato famine Irish ancestor) I have learnt that anything is possible. If you want something to happen, you can make it happen. If you go against the grain of life, things don't go so well. Going with the grain, taking each day is comes, living in the moment as one does on the sea, is the way to live.

As I said to Steve, maybe we aren't finished with boating yet. Who's knows! But I do know that we can do it again, if we want to. Our relationship has strengthened during this time which makes anything possible.

I will miss Europe and the divine cultural experiences. I will miss trying to speak french or italian, rarely greek or turkish. And trying to understand and be understood. But home is calling.

So home we come to buy a house, a car and start a new in..... Newcastle. Closer to my children and my grand daughter , and a place we could both agree on.

So..... see you all soon  Australia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, we'd love to hear from you