Saturday 11 January 2014

My Daughter is married

Coming home to Australia has been an extraordinary experience. Realising that life has gone on for those at home and not frozen in a moment in August 2012, when we left for Turkey, has been thought provoking.

Michael finished his BA, Sophie got engaged and married. Life stops for no one. As I said from an airport lounge on my way to Fethiye in my first blog, it will be interesting to see how we change during our time away. I should have also said: how everyone else changes too.

The Wedding. Steve has commented on the events, I suppose it is up to me to describe my feelings.

I was worried about the day. I didn't really know what to expect or what role I was to play. Sophie had everything worked out: spreadsheet prepared. I wish I had some of her organisational skills. I wished to be able to do more than give money. But Turkey and Greece are a long way from Oyster Bay. So Sophie and her friends and aunt did the jobs which had to be done to make the day go like clockwork.

Bes, one of Sophie's dear friends, organised her kitchen tea. I'd never been to one before so was not sure what to expect. Female family and friends enjoyed a beautiful afternoon tea in Sydney- cakes, tea coffee, chai...


Cakes......

Sophie looked great in a summery frock. Not knowing the protocol I bought a present as did the rest of my family. We bought a beautiful Turkish plate and Greek embroided table cloth.

My Beautiful daughter

A rehearsal occurred at St Benedict's Church on the Monday before the wedding. This was a chance to see what words I had been given to say, never short of words to say it would be different to be given some. Meeting the priest, I was reminded of Tanya's wedding and Philip's funeral since he had been at both. Events like this are often accompanied by a variety of thoughts.


My son Michael

Back to the wedding. Clockwork is how things went. The ceremony went without a hitch. I managed not to cry until the last word. Ray, Sophie's dad, and I complemented each other on our beautiful and capable daughter; a credit to us both.


Sophie and Ray 
Photos were taken. Luckily Steve was my private photographer so he took some great shots of the day.

Friends I hadn't seen for years due to distance and divorce were there. There were also family we rarely get to see. Unfortunatley we had little time to talk to them.

Skipper and First mate- land bound for now.
The bridesmaids looked stunning. It was deja vu seeing Tanya's daughter Anna, as Sophie's bridesmaid : as Tanya had been, aged 13, at my wedding to Ray in 1982.

Anna in front leads the procession
Chris looked handsome and happy to be marrying my girl; yes a lucky man. He too is a great addition to our small families.

Beautiful couple- a new beginning


The reception was held at Sydney Rowing Club, DeDe's Restaurant. The backdrop was fitting- the inner harbour Sydney. The view of sailing boats made Steve and I feel the loss momentarily of Pavlov. But no time for that: speeches and dancing to be done.

View from Abbotsford to city skyline
Most people find speeches hard to deliver. Not me: I love them. Give me the microphone, be it a school auditorium, a protest meeting, a funeral, or my daughter's wedding I am in my element.
I said to Sophie months before that I wanted to speak. I spoke at both my weddings. No" tradition" for me, and we did have a female MC.

So when I approached Tanya( MC and Sophie's aunt plus maybe  PM of Australia one day) to enquire as to when I was to speak, I was aghast to discover that I was not on the program. However my quick witted and ever reliable ex- sister-in-law quickly placed me on the list: an oversight I am convinced. When I was introduced I stepped up to give Sophie and Chris my wishes and advice for the future.

I spoke about how my mother would have enjoyed the day. Mum died in 2009. I made sure that I spoke calmly. Giving advice to newly weds is a fraught affair, particularly when you are the bride's mother. I wished them well and suggested they treat each other with kindness but we true to themselves. 

I hope for both Chris and Sophie that their lives are full of exciting moments and heady experiences- hopefully they will explore some of these with us in the Med in 2014.

Wowing it up with friends







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, we'd love to hear from you